I know, I know, it’s digital blasphemy to say that using Internet data is a terrible way to study social movements. What about all of those Twitter and Facebook revolutions of the Arab Spring? And Occupy Wall Street? #Ferguson and #BlackLivesMatter spread like wildfire, for God’s sake. You may think that I’m a luddite who [...]
Archive | Uncategorized RSS feed for this section
I had the opportunity to see the premiere of the new HBO comedy series, Silicon Valley in, well, Silicon Valley. It was a red carpet night, not just for the stars and producers of the show but also for tech leaders, such as Elon Musk, Mark Pincus and Michael Arrington. Yes, these elites are men. [...]
- Competing Twitter hashtags reflect divided response to Paris attacks
- 5 reasons why online Big Data is Bad Data for researching social movements
- From French Resistance to hashtag activism: How our obsession with the extraordinary masks the power of the ordinary
- Bringing the Organization Back In: Social Media and Social Movements
- Is Facebook just another paperboy with bad aim?