Five years ago, Chris Anderson, editor-in-chief of Wired Magazine, wrote a provocative article entitled, “The End of Theory: The Data Deluge Makes the Scientific Method Obsolete” (2008). He argued that hypothesis testing is no longer necessary with google’s petabytes of data, which provides all of the answers to how society works. Correlation now “supercedes” causation. [...]
Archive | Big Data RSS feed for this section
- Competing Twitter hashtags reflect divided response to Paris attacks
- 5 reasons why online Big Data is Bad Data for researching social movements
- From French Resistance to hashtag activism: How our obsession with the extraordinary masks the power of the ordinary
- Bringing the Organization Back In: Social Media and Social Movements
- Is Facebook just another paperboy with bad aim?